10.07.2008

shoulder to the wheel

one of the many things i've learned about my new husband in our first 2 months (HAS IT ALREADY BEEN 2 MONTHS?!) of marriage is the value he puts on productivity. dave has an ongoing 'to do' list that he is constantly updating. to him, spare time means he can check his list and see what he can get done. sometimes i think the reason he has trouble sleeping at night is because he lays awake thinking about all the things he needs to get done. on the other hand, you have me. i enjoy crossing items off of my lists (and yes, i do make them), and there's nothing that feels as good as going to bed knowing you've had a productive day. but when it's relaxing time for me, i shut down. all i want to do is read my books, take a nap, cook something delicious, watch some tv show dvds...you get the picture. for awhile i felt a little guilty for my downtime, as if it made me a lazy person or meant that i'm not a hard worker. so if i may get biblical for a moment of your time...
Ecclesiastes 3:1: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; A time to rend and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
now, i see that nowhere in there does it say, "A time to get things done, and time to eat toast and watch Arrested Development," but i think it applies. i'm going to go with the notion that my down time is okay, so long as my working time is spent getting things done. plus, sometimes i can pull my husband away from his work for a few minutes in the middle of the day to come cuddle with me, and there's nothing bigger than the little things like that.
p.s...dave and i LOVE that American Boy song by Estelle feat. Kanye West. we keep listening to crap radio for way too long just to hear it once. and the crap radio is so worth it when dave starts doing his old man dancing to that song.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. The reason you are in my life is so that I can smile - and I mean smile a lot. Little things like this blog make me happy and proud that you are my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!