11.28.2008

c is for cookie

family + warm weather + TONS of food + great book* = a perfect week in arizona.
i really had an awesome thanksgiving week with my family. i got to visit with people i don't see nearly enough and stuff myself with wayyy too much food, both mexican and american.
allright, i seem to be posting a lot of recipes lately, but i really can't help it--having someone to cook for has made being in the kitchen exciting and i'm always looking for new ways to enlarge my husband's belly (just kidding, dave :) tonight i made this cookie bar that was AWESOME and i thought i'd share the recipe with everyone who isn't participating in post-turkey day dieting. i should probably start posting healthier recipes...hmm. maybe this is why my favorite jeans don't fit...anyways. there's a picture of me smiling oh-so-cheesy with my cookie bars, and in case courtney or peggy read this...yep, i know. you both have the same shirt. and it looks really good on us.

Magic Cookie Bars
1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
1 c. semi sweet choc. chips
1 c. butterscotch chips
1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped walnuts
preheat oven to 325. combine graham crumbs & butter; mix well. press into the bottom of a baking pan (i used 8x8). pour milk evenly on top. layer with remaining ingredients and use a fork to press down firmly into the crust. bake until lightly browned, then be sure to let it cool completely. i put mine in the fridge for about 15 minutes and then cut it into bars. perfect for FHE. or (ahem) friday night.

*Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Piccoult. i definitely recommend it. i also read My Sisters Keeper recently and it was equally as good (it's what prompted me to buy another book by the same author). this lady knows how to write a book that keeps you interested. let me know if you've read anything by her and how you liked it!

1 comment:

  1. I do have that same shirt and I love it and I love you! I am so glad that we own the same clothes to bind us together forever!

    p.s. that cookie bar looks amazizazaing!

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!