1.11.2011

tucson

this post is a little heavier than what i usually write about on here--if you're not cool with that, regularly scheduled programming (outfit posts, etc) will resume tomorrow!

a while ago, i read a book called nineteen minutes by jodi piccoult. i enjoyed the book a lot (it's my favorite by this author), particularly because it's about a high school shooting and part of the story is told from the viewpoint of the shooter's mother. i thought that was an interesting take on a story like that; i remember when the shootings at columbine happened and i never stopped to think about how those boy's parents must be feeling.

i've thought about this more lately in light of what happened in tuscon on saturday. today, i read an article about jared loughner's parents and how they're reacting to this news. i can't imagine how it must feel to know that your child, a person you created, is somehow capable of an act like that. i've thought about my own mother, and the heartbreak i watch her experience when one of her children makes a poor decision (i promise none of us have attempted assassination). i've heard her wonder what she could have done differently to prevent those mistakes. i know jared loughner's mother must be wondering the same thing herself, on a scale much larger than i can comprehend. i firmly believe in the agency each one of us has, the power to make decisions for ourselves, the free will that jared loughner exercised on saturday.

i know how obvious and easy it feels for me to pray for the families if the dead, or for those recovering from injuries inflicted on saturday. i hope, though, that we (myself included) can also remember people like jared loughner's mother--people who have had their life changed forever because of the horrendous decisions of another through no fault of their own.

maybe none of this makes sense; i've just been thinking about it a lot lately. my thoughts and prayers are with those affected by the events of saturday.

8 comments:

  1. kudos.

    strangely enough, the last episode of grey's anatomy (shut up, I KNOWWWWW) was about a college shooting, and i cried when the shooter's mother was told that it was her son who caused it all. it was so heartwrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding us to pray for the Loughners. I also read an article about the shooter's parents and what they are experiencing and thought about their pain, but I didn't think to pray for them. So thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't view people like Jared as monsters. I see him as someone who didn't have the skills to question the thoughts that came into his mind. We all do this on some level - we're human.

    This, I hope to teach my kids: the mind creates a whole lotta volume. Some of it is true and intelligent, and a lot of it is just crap.

    What we do with those thoughts, how we question them, whether we know how recognize this little voice in our heads and know how to make decisions from a deeper place - is what keeps us from damaging those around us.

    I have a lot of compassion for all involved. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good food-for-thought Brandilyn. Really.
    oxoxo
    Denalee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for changing my small prespective on this situation. Love your blog. I found it a couple weeks ago and love checking it almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You aren't the only one, I think of that in any shooting or horrific thing that happens b/c of the VT shooting. That particular kid lived and grew up in my area, and I heard his parents' house was getting egged, they were being threatened, etc. Like you said, it's not their fault. I will pray for this person's mother also. I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, Nineteen Minutes is one of my favorite books also. If you liked that one, I could recommend more of her books to you as well :)

    http://chrisandmarywright.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! It's sad that we get so caught up in the thick of things that we..or I guess I should say I.. don't sit back and look at the whole picture. His parents are now in my prayers as well!

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!