3.26.2011

the importance of being playful

 shoes/top: target; jeans/earrings: panache; bracelets: everywhere
i really don't look happy at all in these pictures.
let me assure you, the opposite is true. today is great!
i had a breakfast date with sarah and carrie is in town and her and liz came to visit me at the store...and it's a fairly nice day outside and i went on a date with david last night. he picked out this shirt. it's the softest, most comfortable shirt in the history of chambray shirts.

a couple years ago, right after david and i got married, we had another couple over to hang out. this couple had been married for two years and i remember thinking that was such a long time to be married for. at one point during the course of the evening, i don't remember exactly what happened, but david had something in his hand and i was trying to get it from me and we wrestled in a kind of playful way. the wife rolled her eyes and said in a condescending way, "yeah, i guess you still act like that, being newlyweds." i was so confused when she said that. would i stop feeling affection towards david after we'd been married for a whopping two years? the thought made me so sad.

i thought about this last night as david and i drove back to rexburg from idaho falls. we turned my 80's dance party cd on and danced in the car (i took the guitar solos; david handled drums). we got home and chased each other around our apartment. i used made-up kung fu moves to battle him.
i guess what i'm saying today is that, after 2 years and 8 months of marriage...david and i still play.
i'm saying that mrs. poopy pants was 100% wrong.
and i'm saying that i feel very, very sad for couples who think it's stupid to act silly together. 'cause if you can't act like your weirdest self around your spouse...then who can you be weird around?

oh...and i'm saying, of course, that i love david with my whole heart.

18 comments:

  1. KEEP the new background, i love it!
    and that first photo is straight outta a magazine. very lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh! You are such a sweetie! I can't wait to be married for two years and 8 months and chase my husband around the house. Althought if we're being realistic, it will probably happen at 50 years and 8 months, even if we need the help of walkers with the tennis balls at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Mrs. poopy pants indeed! I think my hubby and I will still be wrestling around in 50 years:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your hubby are so cute! Ahhh love reading the stories about you guys. My boyfriend and I have lots of fun (good, clean fun) and I'm hoping 5, 10, 25, 50 years from now we'll still be having just as much fun - if not more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should still play together! That's how keeps things interesting, happy, fun and full of spice. Never quit - even if it's only to show that mean lady who's boss!

    Ramblings of a Small Town Girl
    Fanciful Brainstorm - Tumblr

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love denim on denim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN! my husband and i have been married for 4 yrs 4 months and we still do crazy & silly things every day. he's my best friend! oh course i'll always be silly with him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a. I LOVE this outfit you look so sheek!!
    b. also ive told you this before but this is my fav hair style
    c. also you look so pretty in big earings and you never wear them so you should more often!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whaaaaaat. My husband and I just got married last week, and of course we're silly. But we're just as silly now as we were a year and a half ago when we first started dating. You're right - silliness should not fade.

    Celia
    Bootnotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. agreed
    2. pretty shirt and pretty face
    3. mu gusta the blog face lift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love denim!the shirt is great!kiss from Prague

    ReplyDelete
  12. Umm...I am going on 23 years of wedded bliss and we still play. You are lucky to have a soul mate. BTW, I ran out and bought your shoes in tan. They are foxy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and I was thinking you and your blog are so adorable and fun and then realized I used to know your husband!I went to BYUI! So it made me super excited. Haha! Im gonna follow your blog and twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that is so sweet. I agree with the silliness. Here's a quote for you:

    "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly." -Rose Franken

    ReplyDelete
  15. <3

    Agreed. Whomever I end up with, I hope to never lose that spark of affection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. People who make pessimistic comments about newlyweds are the kind of people who were dull married people from the moment they got married, and just dull people before that. No amount of time makes an interesting person less so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been married for 6 years now, and when we actually have time alone together, we are still silly! Okay, we are still pretty crazy around our kids, too. they are some fun kids and I sometimes wonder why they got so crazy and funny, then I look at their parents and it all makes sense. Don't ever lose the silliness, especially when you have little ones! That gives you an even better excuse to be crazy!
    I also have a blog giveaway going on for Rexburg area locals, so check it out!
    http://lookhotintheburg.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love elle's comment:
    "Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly." -Rose Franken
    It is also my case :)

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!