8.10.2011

safety pinned jeans and 4-H

 oxfords: target; necklace: wet seal; everything else: panache

here's an embarrassing truth....
these are my favorite jeans. they go with everything and i wear them alll the time. that's not the embarrassing part yet. i wore them so much that the zipper totally busted one day when i was pulling them over my hiney. 
i put the zipper together with a line of safety pins and i still wear them, but it takes too much time to un-safety pin like 4 safety pins so i just leave them on and do this awful wriggle to pull them over my hips every time i wear them. i mean, they're my favorite jeans! what else am i supposed to do?
oh. take them to the tailor and live without them for a week? spend the $9 to fix the zipper?
well. fine. 
fun fact: tailor is one of the few (if not the only...someone correct me?) words that changes completely based on gender. a female tailor is, of course, a seamstress. all other words either stay the same or keep the same root word (i.e., waiter/waitress). cool, right? i remember my mom telling me that when she was teaching a 4-H sewing class. i was dorky enough to be an active member and, one year, the secretary of my community's chapter of 4-H. i raised and showed sheep and one rabbit, was the county english horse show champion, and took sewing, photography, and cooking classes. BAM. that's why i'm such a well-rounded, multi-talented adult (cough. that was sarcasm).  really, though, i did 4-H for like 7 years.

come to think of it, i don't know if i have 4-H stuff listed on my resume...i might need to go update that....
"Sheep whisperer.  Perfected the art of cleaning manure stains off white jeans.  Adept at attaining target muscle to fat ratio by County Fair weigh-ins."
you would hire me, right?

6 comments:

  1. Cute outfit!
    And I always wished i had been in 4-h...it always looked like so much fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. "and one rabbit" that just made me want to hug your sweet self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're hilarious- I would do that same thing to those jeans. Hey, it works and they are cute so why not?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Oh 4-H. I too, was a "proud" member every summer:-) I think we turned out all right though? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I found your blog through A Day in the Life Too and I love it! This is an adorable look, and I would have done the same thing if I were you. I have to get pretty desperate before I'll take clothes in to the tailor (or seamstress!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. i really really love that shirt. And I didn't even know that it was a gender difference from tailor to seamstress. Please still be my friend.

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!