3.12.2012

on a pregnant body

boots: modcloth; socks/skirt: f21; tee (m): target; cardi: secondhand
hair is this tutorial, minus all the curling and products. i literally got out of the shower and rolled it up into a headband.
i've always believed strongly in getting dressed.
i know that sounds like a duh, but i'm talking about pajamas during the day. i did it once in high school, never in college, and i continue to hold fast to my personal rule of making myself presentable (even just a little bit!) every day (rebecca agrees, and she is awesome, so it's basically law now).
now, approaching 9 months of pregnancy, i can say my belief in getting dressed has only been strengthened.

pregnancy is a beautiful, miraculous, glorious time. creating new life has made me feel empowered and strong. i have been in constant awe of the things my body is capable of and so, so grateful that it has been up to this most important task.

the same pregnancy that makes me feel that way has also wreaked havoc on my body. it's made me fart like a cave man, my belly button looks foreign and pointy and discolored, and of course...stretch marks. not even in places i expected, either. 

and fine, maybe none of these things happened to you. maybe you had soft, pink skin on your entire body for those blessed 10 months and you never eeked out one single toot and you just felt radiant and glowing the entire time. that just hasn't been my experience, though.

it takes a little more work to feel pretty when i'm 20 lbs. heavier and getting around seems to take so much more effort (including grunting and sweating, yes), but it is so worth the effort. looking in the mirror and being happy with what i see makes me more productive, more grateful for the awesome things my body is doing (instead of being resentful about some of the craziness), and it really does feel good when david says, "daaaaaang." even better than it did before.

so maybe (probably) it's vain and silly, but that's my rant about getting ready every day. it's important to me, and i don't see it changing once junior gets here. over and out.

15 comments:

  1. hurrah for the caveman farts! pregnant women are warriors, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere between being single, getting married, being pregnant and raising our little girl to the ripe age of two--my time to get ready has declined and I'm okay with that most days. You can guess when. I call it a success if I am able to throw on yesterdays jeans and a fresh t-shirt while walking into Greta's room while simultaneously pulling my hair back in a ponytail. Now I look forward to Sundays when I have a good hour to myself to really get ready and look my best while Chris keeps Greta busy---errr Greta keeps Chris busy. Would love to hear your thoughts in a few months on this same topic. Although, I hope for your sake you find the time every day to feel pretty. Every woman loves that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this time last year i was running our clothing store full-time, working as a teacher's assistant part-time, and taking 15 credits, and somehow getting ready every day (when i think back on that time i honestly don't know how i did it)...so i am genuinely curious to see how being a full-time mom compares in that department here in a couple weeks! i'm sure every gory detail will be documented here ;)

      Delete
  3. you look lovely! i need to follow this hair tutorial :) i recently quit my office job to become a full time nanny, and am trying (very hard!) to ditch my sweat pants for clothes that are fun, make me feel good, yet practical for carrying around little ones. you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lucky if I can get my teeth brushed before 2pm. Granted, when I leave the house, I try to look my mom best and look presentable to the world, but if it comes to taking care of my active toddler or fixing my hair, I always choose playing with my daughter. Life after baby is different. I hope you keep this up but don't be too hard on yourself if you break your own rule. Yes, post baby, it is important to find your own mommy time to get showered and dressed, but you will be so busy trying to fit in naps where you can from being so sleep deprived that it won't matter as much. Lots changes so embrace it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe i'll be changing the blog title to fast and furious: getting ready in 15 seconds! haha. i think, from what (very, very, VERY) little i know, your advice applies to all aspects of being a parent: try your best, and don't beat yourself up. i'm excited for every change, even the scary ones people love to "warn" about :)

      Delete
  5. Go Brandilyn! I know you linked to my post, and I totally agree with you! I talked with Jaquilyn shumate about this for an hour the other day and she's in the same boat as us. Getting ready, even if you have to get up 30 minutes earlier than usual makes you feel better all day, more productive, more self confident, just happier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rebecca, you rock. i think your family is just the coolest.

      Delete
  6. LIKE. People who wear sweatpants around or -- heaven forbid -- pajamas to class or to WORK make me sad. I always want to say, "Take pride in your appearance! Don't look like a slob!" I'm glad you're committed even though you're pregnant and uncomfortable and totally have an excuse to wear sweatpants around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. Some people think it is selfish or vain to take care of yourself when you have children. SO WRONG. I feel so much happier, I have more energy, and I am positive! when I am dressed and ready for the day. I have never been the sweat pants time, and I don't think I ever will be even if I have 3 kiddos running around. I have become an expert at showering & dressed & ready in 30 min. or less. My little girl is my number one priority and I've realized that for me to be the best mom for her is to take care of myself too. Good for you to have that goal, and you will have no problem keeping it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately I am sitting here in my pjs as I read this! I should get up and get ready for the day but after not sleeping the entire night I don't have the energy! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the ironic thing is, the day after this posted, i was up sick all night and now i've spent the day in yoga pants and a huge cardigan moping around my house and feeling awful. go figure! haha.

      Delete
  9. love this post!!! it's so nice to here the truth, woman. when i was preggo, it was really hard to feel pretty (stretch markssss! down to my calves. so fun.) and except for when at work, i wore pj's. next time my goal is to get dressed every day of pregnancy. you go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pregnancy brings with itself a lot of never-felt-before moments. One of them is to feel your baby kick. But do you know that the baby’s kick means that her mental growth has begun! Watch this video to discover the joy of a baby’s kick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If this amount does not fit to your budget, then you definitely should reevaluate the credit short term loans yet
    another basis on that your amount is fixed could be the type of the car in
    which the credit continues to be taken with the clients.

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!