6.29.2012

Branswers: if your tiny closet is untidy...

welcome to a new segment on my blog called Branswers! i'll be giving you my solutions to every day problems.  it's called Branswers because, a.) i like plays on words, and b.) i hate that everything in the world is now titled "DIY." obviously these solutions are not professional or ground breaking...they're just the brandilyn way of fixing problems.

i do not have a walk-in closet, or a big closet, or even my own closet. i also do not have space in my bedroom for a dresser, a wardrobe, or pretty much anything other than my bed and my laundry hamper.
thus, my wardrobe storage is limited to this closet, located in the only bedroom in our couple-hundred-square-feet apartment:
which i share with david. the right half is mine.
every few months, my side of the closet becomes a heap of crumpled clothing that i can't ever seem to find a darned thing in and it becomes time to clean it the freak up.

and so, with exceeding embarrassment, i now present my before pictures:
yeah. i'm still not sure those pictures should have ever been posted on the www.
so here are a couple quick solutions i've found to restore order to my limited little corner of the apartment.

1.) tee shirt bin.
i got one of those cheapy wal-mart plastic storage drawers and it sits on the floor of my closet. i use it to store my massive tee shirt collection.
this tutorial shows how to fold and store tee shirts so you can actually see all of your shirts, and so you get maximum use out of drawer space. very helpful for a tee shirt collector hoarder like myself.

2.) skirt hanger
i got a pants hanger from bed, bath, & beyond (similar one here) and use it to store my gazillion skirts. it doesn't look very tidy when looking into the closet because the skirts bulge out on the sides, but it's easy to pull out when choosing a skirt to wear and keeps them (somewhat) wrinkle-free.

side note: if at this point you find, in the back of your closet, a stuffed fox puppet that you and your mom have been secretly swapping back and forth for years, it is ok to stop and have yourself a good homesick cry.


3.) jewelry wall
i just found a section of my bedroom wall that was unused, stuck a few tacks in, and called it good for tangle-free necklace storage. it's not pretty, but once again, i'm working with zero space here.

4.) cardigan tower
i got a shoe tower (like this one) to put my cardigans in (you can see it in the photo below). it would also work well for tee shirts, jeans, whatever, and it makes it easier to look through when deciding what to wear.

so this is my final product! it's definitely not that pretty or pinterest-worthy at first glance, but everything has a place and it's easy for me to find things.



Photobucket
BAM. that's how i make things work with what i've got.
any tips for living in a small space?

16 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who has the "teeny tiny closet" problem! Oh, and yeah - totally use tacks to hang my jewelry too. ;)
    But I am loving the t-shirt idea! Must try it out, like now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I'll have to try the T-shirt idea. I used to hang my necklaces from the knobs of a little shelf I found at Ross that also had drawers, where I stored bracelets and earrings. And then I moved and didn't even have space for the shelf. But you could try that if you need more space for jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I have used the jewelry tack one before and I have also bought those hooks you tape on the wall and used it for scarves and belts. If the space under your bed isn't being used you could use is to store some shoes that can be pulled out on a board or something. Great post! :)

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tip my hat to you lady - I was complaining about my wannabewalk-in closet..it's so full we can't really even get in it. Thank you for the t-shirt bin idea..geeeenius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really good! My closet is almost not a closet it is so small! So I got velvet hangers that have hooks to they stack on top of each other. Saves so much space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your blog is perfect it's more helpful for the fashion blogger, here is very important streets for the fashion industries. thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in a small place too and I use ice cube makers to put may earring and i sort them out by color. Also i would suggest that you arrrange the close by color that would make the final product look more organize. I love your cardi and skirt organizeing idea by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this blog. I am hoping to view the same high-grade content from you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own, personal site now ;)

    Also visit my site remove hair
    My web site ... Silk Sensepil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4
    year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
    put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was
    a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!
    my web site: aciphex dosage

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the superb work!

    my web blog: http://cavoxcms.ch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woω, ѕupеrb weblog format! Hоw
    long hаve уou been blogging for? you maԁe
    blogging look eaѕy. The tοtal look of yоur web ѕite іs excellеnt,
    аs well аs the contеnt mаterial!



    mу homeρagе; http://Www.Maximum-Center.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Attraсtivе ѕесtіοn of
    content. I ϳust stumbled upon your site and in асcession capitаl to aѕsert that Ӏ get аctually enјoyed acсount уour blog
    ρosts. Any way I will be subscrіbing tο уouг augment and evеn I achieѵemеnt
    you access cοnsistently quісκly.


    Feel freе to visіt mу webѕite; www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you want to improve your experience just keep visiting this web site and be updated with
    the most recent news posted here.

    Feel free to surf to my page http://secretsofrealitytv.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ӏf sοme onе wants to be uρdаted wіth most up-to-date technologies thегеfore he must be paу а vіsit thіs ωeb site and be uρ
    to date eveгydаy.

    Feel frеe tο visit my homеpage visit the next site

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, You have done a great job. I'll certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this site.


    Visit my site addicting games.com\/potty racers

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could not гefrain from commenting. Perfectly written!


    Cheсk out my ωeb page ... blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!