3.27.2013

blogging is weird

moccasins: minnetonka; skirt/chambray: target; tank: f21
I took these pictures myself using a remote control and a tower made out of a high chair, a basket, a children's book, and joony's toy blocks.  See?

It was weird.
Being the crazy lady standing in her backyard smiling at a camera on top of a stack of crap also got me thinking about blogging and what a bizarre thing it is, as I often do.

Sometimes I get so sick of it all and I want to just delete this URL and never think about posting an outfit, or anything, ever again.  I think, "THIS IS SO NARCISSISTIC. I post pictures of what I WEAR and I expect people to care?"

Then I see other bloggers, people who have been at this for way less time than I have been, who have more followers than me and I get sucked into wondering why.  I have to remind myself that they're working a whole lot harder at this than I am.  They're doing link-ups (I don't even know how those work!) and sponsoring other blogs and commenting like it's a part-time job.  I mean, I read blogs, and I comment on them, but not in the, "Cute blog! Follow mine!" way that I see so often.  I don't make a penny off this blog (I have in the past, but not on a consistent basis and not very much).  I've never had real sponsors.  I don't know how to track traffic or use Photoshop.

So sometimes, I just think this is stupid and I need to either (try to) go big or shut it all down.
But I always circle around to the thought process of, "Would I still do this if I never got a comment on a post?  If my followers number dropped to 0 and I was the only one who read my own blog?"  And do you know, I probably would.  I enjoy blogging just for the sheer pleasure of writing a weirdo little blurb every day, and taking pictures motivates me to put clothes on most days, and I like it!  I love chatting with you guys in the comments, too.  It makes my day.

So here I am.  I will continue to blog my (super casual) outfits and post bits about my son that hopefully aren't disrespectful or embarrassing to him in 15 years.  Maybe someday I'll finally be able to have a cat in my apartment and I'll live up to the first half of my moniker.  Whaddup, internets?!

26 comments:

  1. girl, i have these exact same thoughts all of the time.
    but i love your blog, you are the cutest!

    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten! You're the best!

      Delete
  2. oh yeah you are not alone! Haha, I have been thinking about this a lot lately...and it drives me nuts! But like you, the reason I don't just shut it all down is because I love writing/expressing myself a little each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that way EVERY SINGLE DAY. Stick with it, girl! We do it for ourselves... not for anyone else. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my life. but i love your blog! and i read it every day. so at least you know that you'll always have at least one follower! and you look good!

    & i also take most of my my pictures like that too. definitely awkward haha!

    xo
    lauratnelson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shoot, thanks!!

      Yeah, I have a million test shots that were the wrong angle, then I'd add the blocks, another test shot...etc. etc. etc. until I got a KIND OF decent angle. Still not perfect. Aaaah well.

      Delete
  5. I like this. YES! Blogging is weird. But I do it mostly for myself. :) I like looking at your outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tannie! I always feel weird when people I know in real life find my blog, like they might think I'm a total weirdo. I'm glad you found my blog and we're still friends ;)

      Delete
  6. I've been reading your blog for about 2 years now after finding it on Elaine's list of MFB, I love that it is simple and doesn't feel like it is constantly pushing for new followers, and what is important is you can go and look back and read for yourself the little moments that you cherish, Beth xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I do love reading old posts and remembering silly little things I might have forgotten otherwise.

      Delete
  7. Love your blog! Check out mine! xo

    But seriously. So true. You took the words right out of my mouth on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep doing what you're doing girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe i think youre doing great AND i actually like that your blog is simple and not crazy photoshopped and all. and i only comment on maybe 1 other blog - another smallish one. i dont really understand why people comment on blogs with a TON of comments! the blogger never comments back and it just feels like all the comments get lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss thank you!! I wish I knew how to make my pictures look all professional...but I'm too poor and too lazy for all that Photoshop jazz!

      Delete
  10. You were born to be writing in one way or another. This is a great avenue to do that! Keep it up! I read everyday and hate it if you don't post! I vote for weekend posts too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I pretend I'm telling you a story in real life when I write. I miss you, Brookie!!

      Delete
  11. I love love your blog. I read it every day, and my camera looks pretttty much the same as yours...same high chair and everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire you for actually having something to write everyday! and it's always entertaining. I've turned into the person who just reads everyones blogs and rarely comments... oh so lame.
    I'm in love with your maxi skirt, also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's funny because I was thinking almost the exact same thing today! I only recently started my blog and I was getting discouraged that its not an instant hit (what can I say, its the type of person I am!) but then I realized that I love it for me! Anyway, I love your blog, so keep at it girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you never stop posting. I really love your blog and your honest thoughts about motherhood and family. I also have no idea what link-ups are, nor have I ever participated in one (although it might help me to get followers). I think you do a great job, and you'll be famous someday and rolling in the big bucks! Just watch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute blog... follow mine...! :) Kidding!
    Amen to this post... and you have WAY more followers than I do!!! I started blogging before it was an industry and have to keep telling my self to 'bring it back in'! Post for me, for my family. It's easy to get swept away though.
    Found you via mormon bloggers, reaching out! I'm following, follow back if you'd like.
    I'm at http://www.ccmcafeeperspective.com/
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like that sometimes... But really! I love your blog. When I blogged and then stopped cold turkey, I felt a weird emptiness inside me and my writing outside of blogging got worse... Now that I'm back to blogging, it feels good. It's not narcissistic; we appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're doing such a good job with this blogging thing. It's personal for everyone. Some people like me.... suck at it frankly. Every once in a while I have something I feel I should say and I put it out there. Then my blog is silent for months. Ooops. Then people like you who do it because they enjoy it but it doesn't run their lives. Then there are those other people I can't talk about... they make me feel inadequate at a hobby. Don't like that. So to end my ramble - to each his own and we appreciate you for you just the way you are!

    Memoirs & Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't quit! K? I love reading your blog - I'm not very stylish. I don't have any kids (or a man for that matter). and I live in east tennessee. We have very few similarities, yet, I think you'd be so fun to hang out with! So. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HEY! I just found you on Canopi...the temple caught my eye and I knew we would connect. I just read this post and I feel the same way! I have been blogging for years yet my numbers are little, my sponsors are zero, and I don't host linkups. Sometimes I wonder how people get their blogs off the ground...cause I can't figure it out. However, I am not sure if I want to. I like blogging whatever I want, whenever I want. I like that I don't have to write about certain subjects by a certain deadline. I think if no one read my blog I would still do it. I do journal so blogging counts right?

    Where are you from? I am in Orem, UT. I looked at your About Me page and that library looks like Cedar City but I couldn't tell in your pictures if you are in Cedar.

    cravingchocolateandlazydays.com

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!