3.04.2013

he sleeps on the floor.

i posted this picture on instagram the other day and got a couple questions about it:

i thought i'd post a little bit more about joony's floor bed! it's kind of a funny thing we do, but it works for our family. maybe it wouldn't work for yours, and that's just fine!  basically, joony's whole room is his. we've made it as safe as a crib would be, so he's free to be on his own without worrying what he might get into. we have a gate in front of his doorway, so he can't trap himself in there. of course, most of his time in his bedroom is sleeping time.

his bed is simply a crib mattress that we put on the floor. he slept in our bed for his first 7ish months, and then we slowly started transitioning him--not really because i was ready (i cried and cried; i missed having him in our bed!), but because he sleeps so much better in his room! we just never bought him a crib...cribs always looked like little cages to me! i don't think there's anything wrong with parents who use one, they just weren't the right choice for us. by the time joony started sleeping on his floor bed, he was rolling everywhere and aware enough to navigate the little drop from his bed to the floor.

so what does this mean for sleep time? not much. at nap time, i put him down on his bed, and if he's sleepy, he goes right to sleep. some days, though, i find him playing with a toy quietly in his room instead of napping. i'm just fine with that. learning to entertain himself is an awesome skill!

as pictured above, some days it means i find my baby asleep in the middle of the floor. if he's completely out, i'll gently move him back onto his bed and all is fine.

some days, when he's fighting nap time, he crawls over to the gate in front of his door and yells at me. on those days, i either move him back onto his bed and try to calm him down, or i let him come out into the living room and play with me until he's a little more tired. he doesn't have a terribly structured nap schedule; i follow his leads and he naps when he starts showing signs (usually rubbing his eyes) of being tired.

some days, i curl up on the floor next to his bed and take a nap with him. we hold hands, i listen to his quiet breathing, and i'm right there the minute he wakes up. it's the best.

so! that's how/where our baby sleeps. it's all fascinating stuff, huh? we're still figuring out this tricky dance that is parenting, and loving every step of the ride (except teething. teething can suck it).

any other floor bed mommas out there? how's it working for you?

15 comments:

  1. I've never even thought about doing that because Declan has always been such a great crib sleeper, but I feel like if it works for you guys, more power to ya! I love the idea of taking naps with him. He doesn't sleep well enough in our bed with me, and won't really fall asleep with me anywhere else, so I totally miss that. :( I'm almost tempted to let him sleep in our bed sometimes just because this time is SO fleeting, but I know that neither of us would sleep well and I'd wake up cranky and it might not really be worth it. whomp whomp. ohh well. He's always a happy little guy when he wakes up, so at least I know it's worth it there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a post about a Montessori bedroom here:http://2pequenostraviesos.blogspot.com/2010/08/montessori-infant-bedroom.html
    (what you have described) and LOVED the idea! Thanks for giving another insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, thanks for the link! i love reading about other mom's experiences with this!!

      Delete
  3. when parker starts crawling out of his crib (i can see it happening soon!) i would totally be down with a floor mattress type situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how it goes! i feel like it would make for such a smooth transition into a "big boy" bed.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this. This is something I have looked into doing when my little one gets here. Does he sleep well in the night? My only worry is that they might roll off their mattress and wake themselves up. Also can I ask why you don't have a sleeping schedule? Schedules seem to be the thing people always recommend to me to "keep my sanity" and get sleep myself. Is it a montessori style to follow their lead? Do you think it's better? I'd love to hear more about that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he sleeps fine at night! he does sometimes wake himself up by rolling off his bed, but usually once we put him back on there he's just fine. we have looked into bigger, flatter mattresses for him, which i'm wishing we had done in the first place instead of a bitty crib mattress. he still doesn't sleep through the night, but that has more to do with constant nursing than it has to do with his bed situation. the boy just nurses all. the. time. i'm a pretty big baby led weaning kinda mom, so for now i'm just waiting that out.

      as far as schedules go, i'm not sure what montessori says about following their lead! it's just always been what feels right to me. he still naps plenty during the day, and i don't have to make him cry and cry because it's "nap time" and he's not tired yet. i know lots of people who thrive with a very structured schedule, but it just hasn't been something we've felt a need for.

      i will say that at bedtime we do a pretty set schedule of bath, jammies, cuddles, nurse, etc. and the same time every night and that has worked wonders for him going right to sleep for the night.

      feel free to email me if you want to chat more about baby stuff! i love talking mom talk ;) hello.brandilyn@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. This is really refreshing! Ever since I had my baby everyone has been telling me she has to be out of my bed and has to be on a strict schedule and I even tried baby wise for about two weeks and it was miserable! Here's to soaking up every second of baby-ness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh please don't let anyone tell you what you "have" to do as a mama! the ONLY expert on your baby is you, and you're such a good mom. co-sleeping was just so right for our family and was the sweetest thing ever. i loved being right next to joony all night long! we all thrived, and we knew exactly when it was time to transition--based on joony's cues and our guts--and it went really smoothly. keep doing your thing!

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of this idea, but I can definitely see how it would work! At the moment, I'm made aware of how very non-baby friendly our house is every time my little cousins come to visit. We'll definitely have to make a lot of changes and put a lot of stuff away when we start having kids. I can't imagine an entirely baby-proofed room! :P Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Joony!
    I never thought I'd be a person who had the baby sleep in our bed, but I loved it. It kind of came more out of laziness than anything though. Something about heaving the baby back into the bassinet when I was so tired seemed... overwhelming? It was just so much easier to nurse laying down and both of us getting some sleep. Georgia slept through the night the first night we tried to put her in her crib and I couldn't help but feel slightly rejected. She was only 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right?? it is SO much faster & easier to feed them when they're right there. even still, when i'm super tired, i want to just set him back down between us instead of going allllllll the way (read: 10 feet) back to his room.

      Delete
  8. SO awesome. We've always just used a play pen (cribs get recalled so often it kinda freaks me out) and keep our babies in our room for the first 6 months at least. I have friends who are shocked by this, "6 months?! HOW do you ever sleep!?" It definitely HELPS me sleep to be able to check on them quickly/hear them breathing (& to be able to nurse without having to go over to their room is really nice). Be educated, use the spirit, pray lots, and go with your gut is what I always tell new moms (IF they ask for advice!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eleanora didn't have a nap schedule until about ten months and still woke up in the night to a nurse until about 13 or 14 months. She was well rested though and a great sleeper. Then she just slept with us until morning because it was best for us. Everyone said I was damning myself. They were wrong. At 16 months She is starting to wean and sleeps 13-14 hours a night. It's great! I have a hard time with any baby book that says this is how every single baby should be.... Every baby is different and every mom and dad are different. :) you go glen coco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i LOVED this comment...and i love the name Eleanora! how pretty!

      Delete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!