3.12.2013

on team moms


On Saturday I spent 2.5 hours trying to get Joony to nap.  His unwillingness to nap lately has been, at times, an all-out battle between the two of us.  Usually, I lay him down, pop a binkie in, tuck his takey under his arm, rub his back for a second, whisper that I love him, tip toe out of the room, boom.  Sleep.  Lately, though, we have nap times where I put him down and he cries and screams and kicks the wall.  I pick him up and it's all yawning and rubbing eyes and exhaustion, but still...the kid will not sleep.

So on Saturday, 2.5 hours in, I gave up.  I brought him out into the living room, set him on the floor with my iPhone, collapsed on the couch, and cried.  I was so tired, so frustrated, so...just...everything!  Parenting is not for wussies.  It is struggle and sleepless nights and "Am I doing this right? Does he hate me?" and yep, tears.  It is also this bursting, breathtaking love that keeps you wading through it all and even loving every second of it.  It is smiles and new skills and chubby hands that only reach for me that make the overwhelming moments feel manageable.  I don't really understand it myself, to be honest, but I'm here in the middle of it and the days are already slipping by even faster than everyone said they would (we're a month away from this guy's birthday. I mean, really).  I feel inadequate and humbled by this job I work every day.

Anyways, I debated writing this post.  My #1 blogging pet peeve is women who complain because they're not pregnant, and then spend their whole pregnancy whining about how miserable they are and get this baby out of me.  Then, it's complain, complain, complain about how tired they are and how fussy their baby is.  I guess what I'm saying is that I hope this post is coming across the way I intended.  Parenting is hard, and at the same time, I love it with my whole heart and soul.  Go team moms.

17 comments:

  1. I feel you, girl. My babe went through a similar anti-napping phase. It was rough. But it was just a phase! I think a lot of things with babies are just phases and it has really helped me deal with the rough things once I realized that.
    And I don't think you're being like those moms you described! There's a difference between being realistic and being pessimistic and you're just telling it like it is.

    P.S. We all know you adore little Joons. You're a fab mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for this! a light at the end of the tunnel! i hate thinking, "i can't wait for this to pass!" because i know how quickly it DOES pass, and then i'm wishing for it back again...but it is nice to know that some day, he will sleep again. maybe.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree about the complaining moms thing. If ya didn't want this why did you do it! And also, have you ever heard anyone say that it's EASY? Nope. Don't expect it to be.

    And like, you're not dying, you're pregnant. Jeeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS. yes! i cannot tell you how many blog posts i've read that are like, "7 month preggerz update: back pain, nausea, swollen feet, all-around misery." that's not an update, that's a list of complaints.

      Delete
    2. Bahaha! Dare ya to comment that

      Delete
  3. Sorry if you weren't soliciting advice, but I have found the website "Troublesome Tots" extremely useful, even though I just had my third baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i always welcome advice, especially from moms with more experience than i have! thank you so much, i'll definitely check it out!

      Delete
  4. Right there with you!! My little one fights it every time, unless I nurse her to sleep (which works so all those people who say its wrong, if you have any other ways to settle her to sleep I welcome you into my home!). But then they can give you the sweetest little smile and in an instant all the frustration melts away and you're back to being completely in love again. Isn't it just everything.

    Adorable photo by the way!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ditto to nursing to sleep! it's the best way, plus i get a solid hour of cuddles while he naps.

      Delete
  5. I completely agree, and I don't look at it as complaining, but just telling the truth. Sometimes being mom is hard, and I would much rather read about someone's honest struggles, instead of only the perfect triumphs.

    Also, when I glanced at the title of the post, I read it as, Teen Mom, and I was expecting an entirely different post. One where you admitted to netflix binging on the show teen mom. Aaaaaanyway....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Teen Mom too! Hahaha

      Delete
    2. HAHA! is it worth a netflix binge? i do have a soft spot for trash tv...

      Delete
    3. Mmmmm 1st season MAYBE but that's a serious maybe. Other seasons are pure rubbish though.

      Delete
  6. I've heard that you have to do multiple sleep training moments during a baby/toddlers life. We hit a road block for a moment with Brinley around her first birthday. Hope he goes back to his normal self again!

    That first birthday sneaks up on you for sure! I can't believe that in October, I'll have a 1 yr old and 4 yr old. Dang. Time is flying.

    And about the post....parenting is hard. So hard! And the older they get, harder it is. I have so many of these moments with Brinley and then I watch her at night sleeping and I think, I need to do better tomorrow, I need to BE better tomorrow. In the morning, both her and I forget about our battles from the day before and we love each other all over again. Thank goodness our children wake up not holding grudges :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does he take two naps a day or just one? Charlotte went through the scream at nap time phase around 10 months and so we just went down to one nap a day, and its been working out really well! Also you are a great mom, I heard somewhere that ""when you are a good mom, you feel completely and 100 percent drained at the end of each and every day, and thats when you know you are doing it right" so keep up the great work, I am right there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think not feeling "allowed" to complain is what makes people complain about motherhood. Your blog is not titled "reasons why my son drives me nuts" so don't feel bad that sometimes things are hard and you need an amen! Pretty sure everyone loves their kids, regardless if the occasional "what the heck am I even doing" blog post.
    I do agree that the pregnancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Complaint lists get old real quick. You're growing a HUMAN! It's gonna hurt! Also, there's another pregnant woman somewhere who has it way worse than you!

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!