4.01.2013

the write thing to do

moccasins: minnetonka; jeans: ae; tank: panache; flannel: target; necklace: world market
This outfit was layered and cozy and casual, all of my favorite things.  In case you couldn't tell, that turquoise necklace I got at the World Market in Arizona is my new jam.  I wear it almost every day.  It's online right here if you want to be my twinsie; I swear you'll wear it with everything!

I have several ways I journal (aside from this blog, which I do and don't count {that made sense...not}).  One is a scrapbook-type cheap notebook that I keep lists, tape interesting paper items (receipts, notes from David, etc), and write funny conversations or moments in.  One is a really pretty, leather-bound book where I write more serious, thoughtful, essay-things about moments with my husband and son that I can't bear to let slip away.  My third one is a One Line a Day journal.  My mom got it for me when I was visiting California in September of 2011, the day I got my first ultrasound with Joony.  I really, really love seeing what I was doing exactly one year ago every night when I write about the day's events.
This time last year, I was full-term in my pregnancy and counting down until our Birth Day.  It brings up all kinds of emotions to relive those Spring days right before I met my son.  I love it.  There is so much power in having a memory recorded.

And now, a really long quote about writing from Natalie Goldberg that is worth your time:
We are important and our lives are important, magnificent really, and their details are worthy to be recorded. This is how writers must think, this is how we must sit down with pen in hand. We were here; we are human beings; this is how we lived. Let it be known, the earth passed before us. Our details are important. Otherwise, if they are not, we can drop a bomb and it doesn't matter. . . Recording the details of our lives is a stance against bombs with their mass ability to kill, against too much speed and efficiency. A writer must say yes to life, to all of life: the water glasses, the Kemp's half-and-half, the ketchup on the counter. It is not a writer's task to say, "It is dumb to live in a small town or to eat in a cafĂ© when you can eat macrobiotic at home." Our task is to say a holy yes to the real things of our life as they exist – the real truth of who we are: several pounds overweight, the gray, cold street outside, the Christmas tinsel in the showcase, the Jewish writer in the orange booth across from her blond friend who has black children. We must become writers who accept things as they are, come to love the details, and step forward with a yes on our lips so there can be no more noes in the world, noes that invalidate life and stop these details from continuing.                            
I didn't intend for this post to end up where it did, but there you have it.  Writing is important.  Do it.

 P.S. Have you read Writing Down the Bones?  You really, really need to read this book.  Life changer.
 P.P.S. I'M PREGNANT & ENGAGED HAHAHAHAHAHA MOST ORIGINAL APRIL FOOLS EVER

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE WRITING SO MU-HU-HU-HU-HUCH!

    Jacob and I have a copy of "Writing Down the Bones" but I haven't read it yet. I would right now if it wasn't in a box waiting to be moved into the kitchen while new carpet gets put in.

    I used to be a lot more "scrapbook-y" in my journaling, but then I started going nuts with all these things taped in my journals. I call them "stick-in entries" and they would make my journals crazy-thick. But now I enjoy looking through old ones, and this post is kinda inspiring me. I think I project is forming itself in my brains...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having the stick-in journals as long as I also have other ones dedicated just to writing in! I think it'll be interesting in 10 years to see how much we spent on a tank of gas or a date night dinner in 2013.

      Delete
  2. Love that your have all the journals. I need to get more organized and back to keeping once since my baby arrived.

    Memoirs & Mochas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, and maybe it'll be the kick-in-the-butt I need to get back into journaling... I swear, the times when I kept journals are the ones when I felt the most settled in myself, and I've been needing a dose of that lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that quote! Made me feel good about all the writing I do. :) I love all the different journals you keep!

    ReplyDelete

oh, hey!

i think you're smart, pretty, and entitled to your own opinions.

i'd love it if the feeling was mutual!